The DIATROFI Program has been implemented by the Institute of Preventive Medicine Environmental and Occupational Health, Prolepsis, since 2012, with main funding from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation. It is executed under the auspices of the Greek Ministry of Education and Religion. DIATROFI supports students in primary and secondary public schools in socioeconomically vulnerable areas throughout Greece and serves a dual purpose:
- It provides food-aid through the distribution of a free, daily, healthy and nutritious meal to all students in the participating schools.
- It promotes healthy eating through educational material and activities aimed at the students and their families.
DIATROFI in numbers
The 2018-2019 school year:
How is it implemented?
- Schools throughout the country are selected based on strict socio-economic criteria.
- The diets are designed by the Prolepsis Institute's scientific team to be healthy and to meet a significant portion of the daily dietary requirement of the students, based on their ages
- The meals, which are prepared specifically for the Program by carefully selected suppliers that possess the required sanitation systems and meet strict safety standards, are distributed to the schools every morning.
- The quality and safety of the meals along with the sound implementation of the Program is constantly monitored and assured through daily visits to the schools, food sample analysis and regular visits to and inspections of the suppliers.
- Alongside its food aid component, the Program distributes educational material concerning healthy nutrition and hosts activities for the students and their families.
- The procedure and results of the Program are recorded and evaluated using quantitative and qualitative methods of analysis.